Alcatel-Lucent and the ng Connect Program demonstrate cloud-based service concepts to enhance the connected lifestyle
Next-generation TV, personal fitness and more, plus chance to win $1000 in the Geek Hunt at CES 2012, Booth #31412, South Upper Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center – January 10-13, 2012
Las Vegas, CES 2012 Booth #31412 —January 10, 2012 — As life becomes ever-more virtual, Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is demonstrating brand new concepts for applying the cloud to the digital lifestyle at the Consumer Electronics Show 2012.
Alcatel-Lucent will be showcasing next-generation cloud-based service concepts created by the ng Connect Program. Visitors to the booth will be able to see how consumers could be enabled to join a group fitness class without ever leaving their living room, buy that cool jacket their favorite TV sitcom actor is wearing while still laughing at the show itself or give new meaning to the term “house call” by interactively visiting a healthcare professional over a high-speed network. Visitors will also be able to enter a competition that could net them a $1,000 prize – simply for recommending their favorite technology enthusiast.
These are amongst ten product-service propositions created by the ng Connect Program, the innovation ‘ecosystem’ founded by Alcatel-Lucent. Now with more than 125 member companies, the ng Connect Program brings to life new service concepts that combine multi-party innovation, cloud-based applications and high-speed networks to create new experiences for consumers, enterprises and service providers.
Concepts being demonstrated at CES 2012 by ng Connect members include:
- Next Gen TV – now TVs can do much more than just stream content. Developed by Agence France-Presse (AFP), Intamac and Alcatel-Lucent, new cloud-based applications – showcased on Samsung Smart TV – will offer more connectivity options and richer interactive services, including video calling, e-Health services, home power monitoring using RFID technology and the ability to easily interact with TV programs in real-time to find out more information on a product like where to buy a jacket being worn on your favorite television show.
- Connected Service Vehicle – a full suite of cloud-based services created by Eyecast (OCP), Genetec, IVOX, Nuance, SkyMeter, Vidyo and Alcatel-Lucent demonstrate vehicle-based workers can increase productivity through tablet-to-car linkages, speech recognition software for secure voice log-in to a connected tablet or device with voice email, high definition video surveillance and streaming, photo recognition, advanced driver safety rating applications and much more. With the Connected Service Vehicle, employees get a customized mobile experience – whether it is a service provider (cable, telephone), fleets (large and small enterprises), first responders (ambulance, police cars) or community vehicles (public employees like mayors or fire chiefs).
- Striker – a public safety vehicle with a comprehensive communications platform created by Genetec, LiveCast, Vidyo, Voxer and Alcatel-Lucent featuring push-to-talk radio integration with an iPad, high-definition video over LTE, and interoperability with devices from radios to notebooks to unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- Avatrainer – a compelling fitness experience powered by the service provider cloud using personalized avatars developed by [TC]2 and Kinect. Avatrainer is a fitness game where individuals do various workout routines in a virtual group setting. Plus, with an application created by Zephyr, where you can monitor critical vital signs and store performance records. Fitness progress is stored in the cloud, so the next time you play the game – no matter where – you can access that information.
- TeleConsult – a healthcare application using new video conferencing from Vidyo, Bluetooth sensors from Boston Life Labs, video content from Framework Interactive TV, and voice and text apps from Voxer allowing a consumer to “visit” a healthcare professional over a high-speed network. Using an application developed by MMRGlobal, information can be transferred securely to the consumer’s healthcare team and accessed through multiple devices including mobile phones and tablets.
- Acquisition – a new interactive mobile game developed by IVONA Software, NeuAer and Alcatel-Lucent, that allows users to not only “check in” to a physical location, but also own a location virtually and rent out space to friends for a small fee through a smartphone or with a smartwatch, powered by MetaWatch. This game provides a service provider with numerous new revenue models and opportunities with their customers and end-users.
- Connected Classroom – a classroom teaching application for mobile tablets created by LearningMate and Alcatel-Lucent. This concept brings together digital lesson plan management, lesson presentation, student response, location-based social media and campus navigation into a high -performance, network-aware mobile application. The Connected Classroom shows what is possible when service provider and network APIs are used in education applications.
- Connected Shopper – now shopping will no longer be an online or offline experience as both experiences are combined over ultra-high bandwidth networks through a new generation of telecom services. Customers can shop in-store, scan QR codes to get more information on a product or get more details on a product through a 3D kiosk provided by TelePresence Tech. A blend of applications from ThinkFlood, VisionMax and Alcatel-Lucent (Mobile Wallet) allows users easy online access and the ability to purchase in-store merchandise using a smartphone.
- Fan Cam – the spectators and fans in venues from large stadiums to high-school sports fields can livestream the view from their seat and send it to an editor who analyzes everyone’s content and determines what to show on the big screen. Developed by 4DK, AFP and Alcatel-Lucent, this application provides important news information using the livestreamed content. The compilation of content can be marketed and sold post-event to allow fans the opportunity to relive the event and share with friends.
In addition to those in the Alcatel-Lucent booth, enhanced versions of ng Connect concepts – the Virtual Personal Stylist and the GameTime Media Table – are being demonstrated in the Verizon booth (#30259).
The “Geek Hunt”
Visitors to the Alcatel-Lucent booth also have the chance to win $1,000 as part of a worldwide “Geek Hunt”, sponsored by Chattanooga, Tenn.-based Gig City, a consortium of companies including Alcatel-Lucent. Anyone visiting the Alcatel-Lucent booth can recommend or “tag” a geek friend who might be a perfect candidate for a series of competitions searching mind-blowing applications to take advantage of this high-speed capability. At stake in these competitions is up to $300,000 in cash prizes and seed investment capital. If the geek your recommend makes it to the final round of competition, the tagger gets a $1,000 referral fee.
More information on Geek Hunt can be found here:
About The ng Connect Program
The ng Connect program is dedicated to the creation of the new generation connected user experience. With its dynamic multi-industry membership, and in cooperation with Alcatel-Lucent’s Gravity Center and Global Customer Innovation Program, the organization drives relevance and new business models through orchestrated innovation. Founded by Alcatel-Lucent, ng Connect is comprised of more than 125 contributing and associate member companies including leading network, consumer electronics, application and content providers.
With operations in more than 130 countries and one of the most experienced global services organizations in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach.
The Company achieved revenues of Euro 16 billion in 2010 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter:http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.
NG CONNECT PRESS CONTACT
T: +1 973-229-4578
ALCATEL-LUCENT PRESS CONTACTS
T : +33 (0)1 40 76 50 84
T : + 1 908-582-4897
ALCATEL-LUCENT INVESTOR RELATIONS
T : + 33 (0)1 40 76 12 11
T : + 1 908-582-7998